Suggested Aftercare For Tattoos
1. If your tattoo has a plastic medical style bandage on it like Tattoo Derm leave it on for 5-7 days. It will look gross underneath and there will be a fluid build up. When it is time to remove the bandage do so in the shower, keep it moist and remove it slowly.
2. After removing bandage, wash the tattoo immediately with warm water and soap. We recommend plain Dial soap out of a pump bottle. No soap with fragrance, moisture beads or scrubs.
PROCESS FOR WASHING A FRESH TATTOO:
- Carefully remove bandage and tape
- Make a lather in your hand with soap and warm water
- Gently clean tattoo using a circular motion, until all ointment, blood, and lymphatic fluid are removed
- Rinse the tattoo and wash once again, gently, until the skin is clean
3. Only use CLEAN HANDS to wash your tattoo. NO washcloths, bath towels, bath sponges or loofahs on a fresh tattoo.
4. Once the tattoo is dry apply a regular FRAGRANCE FREE lotion such as Lubriderm.
5. Fresh tattoos sometimes “weep” during the first couple of days, meaning that plasma and ink form a thin moist coating on the skin. This can be DABBED with a clean paper towel. Press the paper towel to the skin and remove. Do not wipe the tattoo or be rough with it. Do not panic when you see the colors of the tattoo on the paper towel, or on your hands as you clean it. This is simply excess ink being sloughed from the surface or the skin.
6. Once a day, in the shower, is usually enough cleaning for any new tattoo. Consult your artist if you plan to do any strenuous activity within the first ten days of having your tattoo. Lotion may be applied to the tattoo as it dries out.
7. Wear loose, preferably cotton clothing over the fresh tattoo. The tattoo need not be rebandaged except in certain, rare instances. A bra strap, tight waistband, sweaty gym shoe or itchy sweater can potentially create healing problems. Consult your tattoo artist for advice on what clothing to wear/avoid.
8. After a few days, the tattoo will begin to form flaky scabs that will fall off on their own. DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO. Keep it moisturized and the scabs will slough eventually. Once again, they will be the color of the tattoo. It normally takes 2-4 weeks for a tattoo to completely heal. If you have ANY questions about your healing, please contact one of our artists at (518) 813-9027. Please do not consult your friends about healing issues, as everyone’s experience is unique. Our artists are more than happy to help with any concerns you might have.